Big Walnut Athletics – Coach or Volunteer – Certification Process
The Ohio Department of Education, Ohio Revised Code, OHSAA and BWLSD Board Policy requires all coaches paid or volunteer to have updated certifications and ODE Coaching License.
Paid coaches certifications are reimbursed by the Big Walnut Athletic Department if completed by the given the date. Volunteer coaches are not reimbursed by the Big Walnut Athletic Department however individual team booster programs may reimburse the volunteer coach.
Copies of all certifications will be maintained in the Big Walnut Athletic Departments.
Big Walnut High School coaches send certifications to Teresa Piper @ email@example.com.
Big Walnut Middle School coaches send certifications to Stephanie Kreager @ firstname.lastname@example.org.
Coaches must complete the process in a timely manner. Deadline dates will be provided by season.
_____ Step 1 – Officially apply for the coaching or volunteer position at the link below
____ Step 2 – Contact Claire Paul – HR – email@example.com or 740-965-3010 to update BCI (background check) No coach or volunteer may work with students without an approved BCI.
The appointment must be scheduled with Claire Paul. No walk-ins, please.
Volunteer coaches will be asked to pay for their BCI at the time of their appointment.
_____ Step 3 – Concussion – NFHS website – no cost – Certification good for 3 years. https://nfhslearn.com/courses/61064/concussion-in-sports
______Step 4 – NFHS Fundamentals of Coaching – NFHS website – cost $65.00 – one-time certification
______Step 5 – Lindsay’s Law – – Sudden Cardiac Arrest – no cost -Certification good for 1 year.
Scroll to down to item #5 – Create a Safe Account – An account will be needed later to apply for a coaching permit.
______Step 6 – CPR – FREE – Cert good for 2 years. – HS RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org & MS RSVP to email@example.com
CPR -cost $50.00 – Cert good for 2 years. https://communitycpr.customtrainings.com/en/signup?bypass_wizard=1&cart_id=&course_id=1&_ga_rollup=1470118455.1519922932
______Step 7 – SST/Coaches First Aid – FREE – Cert good for 3 years. – Virtual Event via Zoom Classes TBA – HS RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org &
MS RSVP to email@example.com
SST/Coaches First Aid – cost $45.00. – Cert good for 3 years. – NFHS Coaches First Aid Health & Safety – NFHS website https://nfhslearn.com/courses/26/first-aid-health-and-safety
______Step 8 – PAP certification w/ ODE – cost $45.00 to $75.00 – Certification good for 3 to 5 years. http://education.ohio.gov/Topics/Teaching/Licensure
These certifications Concussion-NFHS Fundamentals of Coaching-CPR-SST/Coaches First Aid-Lindsay’s Law Sudden Cardiac have to be completed before this will be approved by BWLSD Central Office.
See below for further instructions on how to use the ODE website.
______Step 9 – FINAL FORMS accept the confirmation email so you can receive emails when your coaches certifications are expiring.
Athletic Director / Big Walnut High School
555 S old 3C Hwy / Sunbury, OH 43074
@sheltonosu1 / @bigwalnuteagles
“Communication, Development, Success”
Create a SAFE account with the Ohio Department of Education (if you do not already have one).
- This can be done by going to the following link: https://safe.ode.state.oh.us/portal/ and signing up for an account.
- You will need to scroll down to read the agreement and supply your driver’s license, date of birth and social security
information. If you do not have a work phone number, you can use your building phone number or athletic office phone
- ODE will send a confirmation email at the address you provide that will give you information on how to set up your
password to log in.
- You will need to remember the username and password you set up in order to check any information regarding your permit,
background check, payments and expiration dates.
Check if your FBI and BCI checks need updated for a new or renewed activity permit.
- Once you have set up your account, you can log into SAFE account
- Click to the ODE.CORE (Online Licensure System).
- Click Educator Profile to find your account.
- Enter your first name and last name to retrieve your information.
- When your demographic information is brought up, please note and record your State ID number since you will need this
number if you are renewing your pupil activity permit.
- Click BCI/FBI in the blue box on the left side of the screen.
- You will need both the BCI and FBI check if you have never had a background check before in Ohio.
- If your most recent FBI check date is more than five years old, you will need to update these records.
Renew your activity permit online.
- Click the back arrow until you get to the screen titled “ODE Connected Ohio Records for Educators”.
- Hover over the words “My Educator Profile” next to the apple under Educator Licensure.
- Click “My Information” and update this information. Please note that you cannot renew or apply for your activity permit
without this information being updated first.
- Click “My Educator Profile” on the top left and then click on “My Applications” to renew or apply for your activity permit.
- A few tips when filling out your online application: Please use 2017 as the effective year. And lastly, you will need credit
card information for online payment.
- Please also remember to submit your final online application. Your application will then be electronically sent in an email to
our Administrative offices for review and approval before your new or renewed activity permit
Sudden Cardiac Arrest -or- “Lindsay’s Law”
- Log on to your “SAFE” account through the ODE website (http://education.ohio.gov/)
- At the “my home” page, click on LMS – Learning Management System (you will be navigated to an external site)
- On the right side you will see mid way down the page a section labeled “My visual course list” click on “coaches sudden
cardiac arrest training”
- Follow the instructions provided, watch the SCA video, take the test, and print the certificate