See the link below for a complete list of past Wall/Hall of Fame Inductees.
Nominations for the 2020 Big Walnut Athletic Hall of Fame are now open
Due by April 30, 2020, at the link below
BIG WALNUT HIGH SCHOOL ATHLETICS
WALL OF FAME
HALL OF FAME
- Championships at the district level or above in the OHSAA tournament in basketball, baseball, lacrosse, bowling, cross country, soccer, softball, track, and volleyball.
- Championships at the sectional level or above in the OHSAA tournament in golf, tennis, wrestling, and swimming.
- One playoff win in football equals a district championship.
- A cheerleading squad must score in the top two places in the Ohio Association of Secondary Administrators State Championships.
- Secondary School Administrators sponsored state cheerleading championship.
- BOE Recognition – Any team earning a trip to compete at the state level will receive recognition at a Big Walnut BOE meeting.
- Basketball Game Recognition – Any team winning an OCC Championship, or District level and above will be recognized at a varsity basketball game.
ALL OHIO – INDIVIDUAL
- Place in the top six in the state tournament in swimming and gymnastics; top ten as of 2011 season
- Place in the top six in the state tournament in wrestling prior to 2005; top eight as of 2005 season
- Place in the top six in the state tournament in track prior to 2002; top eight as of 2002 season.
- Place in the top twelve in the state tournament in cross country prior to 2009; top sixteen as of 2009.
- Qualify for the final sixteen in the state tournament in tennis.
- Place in the top sixteen in the state in bowling.
- Selected to the all-state first or second team as voted by the Associated Press, United Press International or the State Coaches Association in baseball, lacrosse, basketball, football, golf, soccer, softball, and volleyball.
- BOE Recognition – All athletes who qualify for State Level will also receive recognition at a Big Walnut BOE meeting.
- Basketball Game Recognition – Any individual or team winning a District level Championship and above will be recognized at a varsity basketball game. Or, an individual meeting any of the criteria listed in numbers 1 through 8.
BIG WALNUT ATHLETIC HALL OF FAME
Note: Starting with the 2017 induction, athletes now may be elected to the Hall of Fame who already qualified for the Wall of Fame through meeting the criteria outlined below.
Members must be elected to the Big Walnut Athletic Hall of Fame through the criteria mentioned below:
- A coach or administrator who has made a positive lasting impact on Big Walnut Athletics over the years.
- A community person who has played an important role in Big Walnut Athletics over the years.
- An alumnus who distinguished himself or herself in athletics after graduation.
- An athlete who distinguishes himself or herself in athletics at Big Walnut High School and beyond.
- A candidate must wait four years after completing high school graduation in order to qualify.
- Applications are due no later than April 1st of the given year and elected nominees will be notified no later than May 15th of that same year.
- The sport, with the exception of cheerleading, must be sponsored by the OHSAA and the Big Walnut Board of Education.
- The Athletic Wall of Fame committee is comprised of Ron Lehman, Jeff Hatfield, Joe Evener, Don “Red Edwards” and Brian Shelton. The athletic director determines who is on the committee and will message out when new committee members replace others who are currently on the committee.
- Once a person has been inducted into the Athletic Wall of Fame, the committee will continue to monitor his/her community citizenship. The committee may remove an inductee for actions that would reflect negatively on the Big Walnut High School Athletic Wall of Fame.
- Election or removal from the Athletic Wall of Fame must require four-fifths (4/5) of the committee to vote affirmative.
- Wall of Fame inductees will be honored at basketball games
- Hall of Fame inductees will be honored at home football game.
- The criteria for the Athletic Wall of Fame will be reviewed annually at the conclusion of the spring sports season.
Updated 1/2/2018 by Brian Shelton – Athletic Director